I have gone through times where I myself hesitate when trying to give an easy definition of interaction design. Usually an example or two helps for it to click, but that’s hard to describe in simple sentences sometimes too. I usually try describing that an interaction designer can help create holistic experiences that range from websites and apps to robots and services. People sometimes get it. What follows are my thoughts on the definition. (Read More)
I spent about a half a year with Animus Home and I got to learn a lot while doing lots of practical work. What follows in no particular order are things that I have done or worked with that I learnt more from.
Acquired knowledge or skills
- Copy editing and translating text from Swedish to English.
- A lot of copy editing, actually. Some of it is technical writing.
- Understanding graphics manuals, instruction leaflets and instructive illustrations.
- Understanding documentation (knowledge bases too) and branding.
- Working with HTML, CSS and JS. Widely ranges from reading Google Forms into a page to CSS animations.
- Working with printed materials from flyers to packaging.
- Graphic design of an mobile app icon. Understanding logotype design.
- The graphic design of multiple UI icons.
- Wireframes and tutorials.
- Motion graphics (very briefly).
- How to do a good voice over (also super briefly).
- A lot of illustrative work and knowing how to deal with a large workload.
- Retouching and generating images to use for social media, branding, marketing and anything else.
- Creating copy for blog posts over the span of multiple days.
- Strengthened my knowledge over user experience flow.
- Strengthened my understanding of software development.
Due to the nature of the content I am unable to show examples or even talk about these more specifically. But I can safely say that I have grown into my roles very nicely and can happily share some of what I have done privately (again, there are limits to what I can show).
I went and done the Alt Ctrl Game Jam for this year, which happened about 2 months ago. The idea of the jam is to create an alternative controller and a game in a little over a week’s time. This is the first time I am participating in an event that lasts that long in a jam setting. I think I have gotten used to the 48 hour format, so trying out an event that will take over a week is an interesting prospect. This post will detail the game controller creation and talk about the experience. (Read More)
I wanted to post an update letting you all know that I have slowed weekly posts down to once in awhile.
I start an internship and have been busy with a lot of different projects. It would also give me the opportunity to expand on certain posts, so this will improve post quality.
So until next post, I will leave you with this photo of my Foomi
About a month ago I sent an e-mail to the Six to Start support team asking as a legacy user who backed the Kickstarter project if I was doomed to unlock seasons 1-3 slowly and go without the discount for further seasons. The reason for me suddenly sending in a support ticket is that I recently made the switch from an iPhone 3GS to an Android Nexus 5X. This post details a bit about the experience I had and what my thoughts are about it. (Read More)
One of the things I have noticed about Construct 2 that has me wondering is why I do not see more popular games being adopted by the game engine. Some of the reasoning I believe is that other engines like GameMaker has been around for much longer and were focused on multi platform support comparatively earlier, and have therefore had enough time to establish themselves as a presence on social media and the press. So here is a short post showing what I have found to currently be popular and where I found them. (Read More)
So about three years ago there was a pretty nice blog which posted drawings other people sent in from whatever was generated on the website. The author Brett Bean has since moved on and I have reached out to him about it, but I would also like to show it here. I mean I just recently was going through my files and realized I never really showed anyone this thing I made which came about after reading that Character Driven’s code went kaput.